Tokyo 1925, Brown card with title printed on it, brown silk string tied. Reproductions of photos and building layouts, each covered with a captioned transluscent sheets. Toploader medium.
A booklet produced in the autumn of 1925 (Taisho 14) by the Aoyama Jogakuin, Women's Academy, to commemorate what is now Berry Hall on the Aoyama Gakuin University campus. Photos and floor diagrams show a large three story plain building with two wings with a more traditional Chinese inspired porch, photos taken during construction and on completion. The photos following show the Entryway, Principal's Office and classrooms. Classes: Science, English language, Domestic science (ironing and cooking!) and a cultural demonstration, perhaps a tea ceremony, with the girls watching, most, but not all, in traditional dress."The origin of Aoyama Gakuin University dates back to 1874 when Dora E. Schoonmaker, the first single female missionary in Japan for the Woman's Foreign Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church, founded a girls’ school in Tokyo. The centuries-old edict against Christianity in Japan had been lifted just a year earlier. In the following years, two other boys’ schools were founded .... These three Methodist schools evolved into the present-day Aoyama Gakuin." AGU website. Our Japanese resources are not sufficient to know whether this building was constructed after the 1923 earthquake or only renovated. The modern Berry Hall is lacking the two wings shown here but retains the entrance and window design. The building is one of two registered Tangible Cultural Properties, on the campus.
CONDITION: Good Plus; back joint split,very neatly repaired, corner crease on front, a little light soil to covers and spot on back; pages, and tissue very nice, clean and unwrinkled. Item #22685